The berries of the black elder plant (Sambucus nigra L.) have been relied upon for centuries to manage cold and flu symptoms.
Black Elderberry Extract has been rigorously tested in scientific studies for antiviral and anti bacterial properties and efficacy against coughs, colds and flu. Studies were conducted in both laboratory settings and on human subjects. In both settings
Human clinical study on ElderCraft® for long-distance air travellers
To test the efficacy of European Black Elderberry Extract on the physical and respiratory health of long-distance air travellers, a human clinical study with 312 subjects was arranged.
Approximately 20% of travellers have upper respiratory health problems after a long-distance flight. The immune system and overall health can be severely compromised during long-distance flights, making such travel the perfect setting to test the beneficial effects of Black Elderberry Extract.
- 312 economy class passengers participated at the study
- 158 passengers received Elderberry capsules for 10 days prior to and 5 days after the flight (600-900 mg daily dosage)
- 154 passengers received a placebo in the same time period
- Cold episodes, cold duration and symptoms all recorded
The figures speak for themselves
The trial linked use of European Black Elderberry Extract to
fewer cold episodes
shorter illness duration
less severe symptoms
Facts about Colds and Flu and their Economic Impact
These evident proofs of the efficacy of European Black Elderberry Extract on the physical and respiratory health is of great value because there are high numbers of flu infections every year. Therefore, flu prevention is a hot topic.
The following numbers about flu season in the US might provide a better understanding:
- 45 million cases of flu
- 21 million flu-related medical visits
- 810,000 flu-related hospital admissions
- 61,000 flu-related deaths
(Data Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, CDC)
As money matters, flu prevention is a hot topic.
See how much costs have been caused by colds and flue in 2018.
- $10.4 billion - Estimated average of direct costs for outpatient doctor visits and inpatient hospital stays attributed to seasonal flu outbreaks
- 28% - Percentage of over-the-counter medication spending specifically for remedies against colds and flu
- $16.3 billion - Estimated lost earnings each year due to flu, as a result of 111 million missed work days
- $21.4 billion - Cost to employers of lost employee productivity due to flu in 2018
Our Academic Partners
At IPRONA, we proudly partner with major universities around the world to study and learn more
about the potential health benefits of our premium ingredient, ElderCraft®.